When i draw is like a bunch of lessons overlapping inside my head and that's not good to me.

Inicio Foros Práctica y consejos When i draw is like a bunch of lessons overlapping inside my head and that's not good to me.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Aunt Herbert 2 weeks ago.

• Suscribirte Tema favorito

I suppose that many people here went learning from many different sources, has ever happen to you that all those lessons mixed up and you felt lost?

Previousely i talked about how my exhaustion that made me lose a little bit of progress. After a well deserved rest i got back at it again and now i remember there is something more to it than just me being tired. I tried to follow other tutorials that I thought being enteresting, yet they entered my head and when i draw... they all overlap into some aimless mess that makes me lose the whole purpose of the drawing.

I need some help "organizing" those lessons, doing so would probably improve my situation.

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Well, Idon'tknow, honestly, I don't know how to address your situation more effectively, except you need to just give yourself the most time to take one lesson at a time, one step at a time. As a result, your progress can and will become the most exponentially growing, if you need and want to take my advice. So, the smartest thing to do, is to please pick up a copy of The Little Book of Talent,by Daniel Coyle. Because, it's got a whole lot of tips for you to help you develop and create your own talents while in your own talent hotbeds. Let's hope what I've told made most perfect sense to you.

The term this page uses for those "lessons" you mention is practice goals. There is even a button on this site. that asks you to select a practice goal from a multiple choice selection, and if you didn't change it for four weeks, you get a reminder. But that is only a minimal crutch, and after you get more experience with different approaches to drawing, these selections start to feel incredibly vague. There is the option to type in your own words, though.

Ideally you should select a specific practice goal for each of your drawing sessions, and try to put it into your own words and/or visualize the effect you are going for. Those different tutorials offered you different tools for your toolbox, now it's up to you to learn to distinguish between them, and to select and chose consciously which specific tool fits your artistic vision best. In a faraway future, when we approach the horizon of mastery, we probably want all of this tools at our disposal.

And I know, that sounds all great and almighty, like I figured that all out, and I absolutely haven't. Compared to a lot of other draftspersons I lack discipline and tend to just wing it a lot more often than is good for my artistic development, but having given a lot of feedback to other artists here, I at least have seen it done right by some people, and occassionally I succeed in getting it right myself.

I think (I hope) becoming aware of the general problem, and at least trying to address it by attempting to become clearer about my goal for every session, before I just start scribbling away, is a step into the right direction. On the upside, trying to define my next practice goal for drawing is an uplifting mental exercise when I am stuck at work, or forced to do boring chores. How successfully I then manage to stick to it when the pen meets the paper is another question.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.