inconsistent quality in drawings

Page d'accueil Forums Pratique & conseil inconsistent quality in drawings

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ligreen 1 week ago.

• S'abonner Favori

hello! i have been drawing my whole life but started cracking down on practicing anatomy around late july 2024. i'm finding much difficulty figuring out consistent shapes to use for the body(mainly the torso), as none of the ones i've tried using so far seem to work well for me. i have a lot of difficulty imagining more complex shapes in 3D (such as the ribcage and pelvis, even very simplified versions of them), which makes it harder to find shapes that work well for me. this tends to lead in my sketches varying heavily in quality(feel like ive been on a decline since mid august). do i just need to practice more with specific shapes, or is it something else?

sketches for reference: https://toyhou.se/29056004.practic

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Looking at your drawings you seem to be making things that are very similar to what my sketches are ending up like, i felt a lot of stagnantion too and what i did to help a little, which might help you too, is actually not doing poses but going a different direction and looking at muscle and bone anatomy. I look up photos of medicinal/educational diagrams of the human body, photos of rotated ribcages with shoulders and bone on pinterest, some pose websites pecifically have muscle skins like posemaniacs. Try look up specific areas of the body if you run out of images.

This studying of actual body tissue and bones will give you a wider shape vocabulary.

As well what i think the anatomy studies have helped me with is adding weight and substance to my figures. Now my poses have some more structure besides circles and lines- which you have done and its good to keep that step in mind but it seems like you are in need of some new material to base your people off of. Hope this helps :D

yes this is quite helpful thank you so much!

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.