Looking for Critique for 30 minute class gestures

首頁 論壇 批評 Looking for Critique for 30 minute class gestures

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avis Cantrix 3 weeks ago.

• 訂閱 喜歡

I've been trying to practice gesture more, but I still dont really like how my gestures are turning out. Any tips and/or critiques are greatly appreciated.

Link to some gestures from a recent 30 minute gesture session:

https://imgur.com/a/rw2lXYY

Please support Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Hi! Bit late on the feedback sorry, mostly use this site to track how many hours I'm putting into drawing and painting so I don't always check the forums.

First of all, really good job on sticking to using a nice sweeping line of action as your base. Looks like you are mostly getting all the features down in each pose, and the poses you have spent some more time working on look very fluid.

In terms of feedback, I would say your 'ribcage' ovals are probably a little large in proportion to the hips in most cases. This seems to be even if you are capturing someone quite slim, as I can see in the 5th image you uploaded that although you settled on a much smaller ribcage for your more fully drawn out male pose, your original sketch oval extends where you eventually settled on for placement by a noticable distance.

The other thing I can give feedback on is that you are making sure to put in hands and feet which is great, but they tend to be underestimating the size of these features, which has sometimes then affected your poses proportion accuracy when you choose to spend more time fleshing them out.

Ultimately, you are correcting the ribcage sizes when you spend more time on a pose, so you clearly already can see that, it may just help speed up the process if you try and get as close to the accurate size from the start (similar with the feet and hands).

Sometimes not feeling happy with a sketch has to do with feeling as though the sketch hasn't fooled your brain into perceiving the drawing with depth. In which case, you need to focus on creating distinct areas of light and dark and convincing transitions inbetween. You have started reinforcing dark outline areas on your more drawn out poses and then adding shading, which is already a great start as you have a good tonal distinction between your darkest darks and bright light. It may help you to feel happier with an image if you make sure you leave no gaps in your shading for the shaded areas, so there is a definite distinction between shadow and light and how the shape is shaded to make it look 3D. This helps to fool the brain and might be what leaves you more satisfied with your images at the end. I am thinking of the top more-drawn-out pose on image 5. You were likely reacting to the timer so I wouldn't worry about this drawing, this is just the pose that most shows where the shading with gaps leaves the viewer somewhat confused as to where the shapes begin and end. Your shading on the pose with the bow and arrow was very good, I could see the image as a 3D image instantly and that is the kind of work you want to keep practicing.

I hope this helps and I hope you keep practicing, there is some really good work here!

1 1

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.