Looking for a solution to apply the fundamentals to a specific piece of art

Home Forums Shop talk Looking for a solution to apply the fundamentals to a specific piece of art

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jappersinho 1 month ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Hi, good night, i want to ask something, how do you deal with applying the fundamentals that you have studied and practiced to a specific piece of art that you want to work on? Should i coppy someone else's work or should i try to draw from imagination? Look forward to hear your answers, because i have that doubt. Thank you.

P.D: I don't speak english too much, so maybe i make a mistake typing this :P

• Jappersinho edited this post on August 15, 2024 12:31am. Reason: i struggle with the fundamentals and find myself just practicing but not applying what i have learn to draw something that i like.
    • Jappersinho edited this post on August 15, 2024 12:34am. Reason: i struggle with the fundamentals and find myself just practicing but not applying what i have learn to draw something that i like.
    Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

Hey Jappersinho,

A good friend of mine, who is a professional musician, once told me something that has stuck with me ever since: When you’re practicing your scales and chord progressions, be like a robot—just repeat them over and over without questioning until they become smooth. But when you’re up on stage, throw everything overboard and go nuts as if nothing counts anymore.

Find something you love to do and work towards it. Copy, invent, or combine the two—it doesn’t matter, just make it work. Take the shortest route toward your goal, whatever that may be. That’s what every artist dreams of and works towards, I’d say. Get the technique out of the way so you can completely focus on your expression, like a language you’ve studied for so long that you don’t have to think about it anymore. You just say what you want to say. Express what you want to express.

TL;DR: Do whatevs, just enjoy it! You earned it! :)

Funny enough, getting into that state isn’t as natural as it might seem and I find it as challenging as sitting yourself down for extended periods of time and patiently drawing nudes. I try to practice one as much as I practice the other.

Thanks for this question, by the way. I’m currently working on a project that’s quite a bit outside my comfort zone, and I needed to be reminded of what I just told you, as I kept thinking about returning to my shell and playing it safe.

Hope this helps. Happy drawing!

Hi Mahatmabolika, thanks for your answer, i really needed it because i tend to forget that i have to take risks and experiment sometimes.
    Good Day and good luck with your art journey too :).

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.