First gestures of 2024

Home Forums Critique First gestures of 2024

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Smak 3 months ago.

• Subscribe Favorite

Not too thrilled by the way these came out, hence im asking for some second thoughts.

https://imgur.com/a/wR7CRKr

All took one minute each. Feedback is appreciated.

Happy new years!

• heliganreigns edited this post on January 9, 2024 2:53pm. Reason: clarification
    Space Walk: an Ad-free Android game

Support us to remove this

i'm really a fan of how loose and expressive your drawings are, and i love how confident your lines are! you really captured a sense of dynamic movement in the figure in the bottom right corner of the page and i love how you handled the legs, they look great. if i had to point out anything i'd advise taking some time to measure out the proportions of your figures a bit more?

1 2

I do find a lot to love about those lines, you are focused on the right priorities, your shapes and forms are clear and easy to read.

My advice would be to investigate that feeling of "not being thrilled" a bit more, and try to put your vague artistic ambitions into clearer forms. Do you have any older sketches still available, which felt more promising? Maybe put those next to your newer ones and try to find the essential differences. Could be, you just got a bit rusty and will be back to going forward in no time, but could also be, that you shifted focus on some other aspects since then, and might want to readjust that, and retrain some fundamentals, who turned out to be less solid than you assumed them to be.

Or another thing you could do is practicing critiques by giving a bunch of beginners feedback on how to improve their stuff. That way you get used to defining the quality of a drawing by various measures, and then can apply that practice to your own work, to get clearer ideas about which boundaries you yourself want to push next.

A third option would be to put your shorties to the test, and try developing them into something, that makes you clearly leave your comfort zone. Using one to do a really long time drawing sometimes can turn a vague feeling of "something ain't right" into a clearly visible flaw, that you then can work out. That would be an option if your long term goal is mostly to get better at drawing from reference. If your long term goal is more about drawing from imagination, I found a trick to test your shorties for perspective: Try copying the same pose, but from a different angle. That will put your understanding of spatial relations really to the test.

TL;DR there are no obvious and objective clear mistakes to find on those drawings. Putting your finger on the source of your worries OTOH is clearly a very personal task for you, that will pretty much define your identity as an artist.

1 1 1

Hello, heliganreigns, welcome aboard. So, nice show on how loose your lines are, but I'm so in love with how much dynamism you've got into your expressive posing, but however, I'm not getting enough of that flexibility of those lines of action in terms of curves against straights. How would you like to please go with our interactive drawing tutorial on our website here, if you haven't already, please?

As a result, your understanding of gesture drawing will surely get better and more refined than you're used to.

Hope this works, and thanks.

Keep at it with the flow of your lines, observe the shape of the extremety you are drawing. Only draw what you see, not what you think you see.

Happy new year to you too :)

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.