Figure Drawing critique please

Home Forums Kritiek Figure Drawing critique please

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Aunt Herbert 4 weeks ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

Drawings

Sorry, wasn't sure how to upload the photos directly, so there's a Dropbox link

Get more practice photos

Support us to remove this

I like, that you find long and decisive lines to depict the poses. Some of them look really cool, telling a lot of story with few lines.

A problem, that you probably may want to overcome overtime is, that a lot of them don't look extremely naturalistic. Expressive, yes, but the proportions are strange. And I think it stems from you not having developed an understanding of how chest, hip and spine work together, and where the major joints for the limbs exactly need to be. Which won't be an easy fix, but it starts with becoming aware of the underlying structures of the body.

I found helpful advice on youtube on lovelifedrawing and proko. Both channels/artists have over time developed and published their own versions of how to develop an underdrawing that provides you with proportions and perspective.

Michael Hampton is also quite popular, but he is very purist in his quest to start the gesture from understanding movement over understanding the body. I find him definitely extremely aestethic, but personally struggle to embody his visions on paper.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.