LF Feedback on Gesture Tutorial!

Home Forums Kritiek LF Feedback on Gesture Tutorial!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Idon'tknow 3 weeks ago.

• Abonneren Favoriet

Images Here

Hello everyone, I just followed the tutorial for gesture drawing and i'm looking for some feedback! For context I have drawn for a good 9 years but I'm pretty out of practice since I haven't drawn a lot this past year. I feel confident in my gestures, but I still feel like I'm not at the drawing skill I want to be. I'm unsure as to what I need to focus on at the moment. Any and all feedback is welcome!

- Lumi

Students get 33% off full memberships to Line of Action

Support us to remove this

Looking at your lines, I feel like I can't tell you much new. You clearly know the drill, you orient yourself at a functional underlying construction and find clear and deliberate lines to depict the reference.

Also the feeling of not knowing what to focus on, to push past the plateau sounds eerily familiar. You could always go back to some fundamental practices and see, whether you can squeeze a bit extra out of them. About a month ago I returned to depicting all the masses strictly as boxes, and found some extra inspiration into how to perceive the torso, and it gave me a new kick, that lasted almost two weeks, but then the novelty petered out again.

In the end, it's probably about cruising the usual youtube recommendations and look for stuff, that sounds weird on first view and trying it out. At the moment I am more into running music on the headphones and letting my pen go through the motions while the references pass by.

I wish you and me and everybody reading this lines a lot of inspiration.

1 1 1

Hi Lumi, let me ask you this "how much experience do you have in shapes with 3D perspective?" it is a really important question since a lot of tutorials think you already knew this so they bring up things like "use mannequins" or "turn the body in a bunch of boxes" but they do not work if you don't have a really sharp understanding of perspective.

I tell you this because I genuinely know nothing about perspective at the moment and all those tutorials gave me terrible results. One good advise, DO NOT LOOK AT THE MANNEQUIN YET! just follow the arms and legs as some sort of disjointed lines as they start from the houlder to the point of the hand (same case for the legs). Use simple S or C curves and do not care about each muscle, this is not time for anatomy yet.

Login or create an account to participate on the forums.